Buying a new sink? The first piece of advice you might hear from a seasoned homeowner when catching a glimpse of your shiny new piece is, “You need to put a sink protector in there!”
And they’re right. Here’s why.
What is a sink grid?
A sink protector, also known as a sink grid, sink shelf or sink grille, is a grid insert that fits into the bottom of a kitchen sink to protect the bottom of the sink from damage. Kitchen sink grids come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and even designs to fit each sink.
The sink grid is placed directly in the bottom of the sink and is completely self-contained, so no installation is required.
Why do I need a sink grid?
Kitchen sink grids are important for a number of reasons.
- They can protect the sink bottom from scratches, dings and dents
- They place pots, pans, plates and cookware at the bottom of the sink, allowing water and food particles to flow freely along the bottom of the sink instead of collecting on the plates
- They reduce the sound of plates and utensils hitting the bottom of the sink
- They act as a sink drainer for washed items
- They prevent dishes from slipping on the sink surface
- Many are dishwasher safe, making sink cleaning a breeze
What are the disadvantages of sink grids?
Every great thing has some drawbacks, and sink grids are no exception (although they are minor). Some people don’t like the look and prefer a plain sink; others find that dirt and food (if skinned) can get stuck. Some people don’t like cleaning other things (even though it’s fairly low maintenance).
Another factor that prevents people from buying quality sink grids is cost. Grids shaped to fit a specific sink may be more expensive than the standard sizes found in larger stores, but they offer truly superior protection for your investment as well as better ease of use.
Do I need a sink protector for my sink?
Using sink grids or not could be a personal preference, but they are essential if you want to prevent damage to the bottom of your sink. Certain materials are more prone to scratching and denting than others, such as stainless steel, marble, quartz (dark colors show damage more easily than light colors), soapstone and solid surfaces.
Other materials, such as light-colored quartz and granite composites, clay and porcelain, benefit from the free flow of water provided by the sink grid; these materials can stain from wet or dirty cookware placed directly on the bottom of the sink.
How to select the right sink grids for the kitchen sink?
Many high-quality sinks, especially stainless steel sinks, include an optional custom stainless steel sink grid that fits perfectly into the sink.
Standard size sinks can be fitted with standard sink protectors in a variety of materials, but the most popular one is stainless steel.
When selecting a sink protector, consider the following factors.
- Sink size and shape (the grid should fit well, not slide around, and be easy to get in and out of the sink)
- Sink depth (for shallow sinks, choose a grid that will not raise dishes to an uncomfortable height)
- Drain placement (center or side)
- Cleanability (a tightly woven grid will catch more food particles than a more widely spaced grid)
- Quality (stainless steel sink protectors should be the same quality as stainless steel sinks)
- Smoothness (rough intersections or corners will trap bacteria and dirt)
- Feet (for best results, choose a sink grid with rubber feet, or at least use closed rings instead of feet to prevent scratching)
Always choose sink grids on rubber mats, which can cause staining, and stainless steel on rubber or plastic, which is less durable.
Chica bottom sink grids
Chica bottom sink grids are made of polished T-304 stainless steel.
Chica bottom grids provide a number of useful features in the kitchen. Not only do they help prevent pots and pans from scratching the kitchen sink, damaging the finish, and keeping your kitchen from looking its best, they also help cushion the sound of some heavy dishes being thrown into the sink. In addition, an effective kitchen sink bottom grid can make cleanup easier and help prevent large debris from being left in the sink, or worse, falling down the drain.
With different sizes and models to choose from, you’re sure to find the right kitchen sink bottom grid to match your kitchen sink model needs. Not only will you find a functional bottom grid for different models of kitchen sinks, but you’ll also find that these high-quality accessories will help you upgrade your kitchen sinks. If you need help choosing the best kitchen sink accessories for your kitchen sink, contact the experienced experts at Chica dragon. You can contact us via email or leave your message in the contact form.